Sunday, October 28, 2012

First Post - Paula Dean Taco Soup

The other day I found this recipe that sounds SO delish: Paula Dean Taco Soup!!! Here is the original recipe that I got from Paula Dean's Website:

Servings: 12 to 16 servings

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 8 hours crock pot, 1 hour stock pot method 
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

Jalapenos
Chopped green onions
Grated cheese
Sour cream
Corn chips
1   1-ounce package ranch salad dressing mix
1   1 1/4-ounce package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup green olives, sliced (optional)
1   small can black olives, drained and sliced (optional)
2   4 1/2-ounce cans diced green chilies
1   14 1/2-ounce can tomatoes with chilies
1   14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
1   14 1/2-ounce can mexican tomatoes
1   15 1/4-ounce can whole kernal corn, drained
1   15 1/2-ounce cans pink kidney beans
2   15-1/2 ounce cans pinto beans
2 cup diced onions
2 lb ground beef

Directions

Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large crockpot or a stockpot.  Add the beans, corn, green onions, tomatoes, chilies, olives, and seasonings, and cook on low setting all day (6 to 8 hours) if using a crockpot, or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a stockpot on the stove.  To serve, place a few corn chips in each bowl and ladle soup over them.  Top with sour cream, cheese, and jalapeƱos.
I made a few changes, so here is what I substituted: I did NOT add the 2() 4 1/2 ounce cans of green chilies (my 4-year old does not like spicy things, so I left this out to keep it from being too hot), instead of adding 2 cans of pinto beans I did one can of pintos and one can of black beans, I only used one cup of diced onions, and I used chicken instead of beef. I went ahead and cut up my chicken into large chunks, boiled it until it was cooked all the way through, then added it to the soup mixture. I did not add the olives or the jalapeƱos, because my husband is not too fond of them. I also saved four of the cans from the beans and tomatoes so that I can use them for a craft later on this month. :)
Taco Soup with Chicken after about 2 hours of slow cooking



No comments:

Post a Comment